NGO “Poruch” has launched a new project “Volunteer School”. The project has successfully been carried out on a number of locations: June 1st -3rd in Kahovka, the town of Kherson region, June 8th – 10th in Kytaihorod, the village of Dnipropetrovsk region, July 7th – 9th in Svatove, the town of Luhansk region, July 7th – 9th in Lazurne, the resort of Kherson region, July 12th – 13th in Mariupol, the town of Donetsk region.
The aims of the project:
- popularising the ideas of volunteering;
- broadening the knowledge of trainees about the historical background of volunteer work;
- encouraging the youth to active participation in social life of their local community and native country;
- creating a positive image of Ukraine and uniting the citizens of different parts of Ukraine with mutual aims and responsibilities.
The activities within the project included:
- stimulation games such as “Public Hearing” and “Unfair Elections” during which the trainees had to deal with the corruption of authorities and seek for compromise within the “triangle”: business – politics – local community;
- workshops such as “World Café” where the trainees had to suggest their own solutions to important social issues;
- quest “Following Volunteer Routes” during which the trainees were divided into teams to follow certain routes and complete the tasks given to them by instructors; the tasks included, for example, the quiz about the history of volunteer movement, basic first aid skills and training of team spirit.
During the project both trainers and trainees have obtained a unique experience and made a lot of friends. Thus in Dnipropetrovsk region the Volunteer School was held as a part of patriotic game “Jura” with the participation of legendary Zaporizhya kosaks, so everyone had the chance to get familiar with kosak traditions, martial arts and even cuisine.
In Svatove trainers of “Poruch” took part in the project “Building Ukraine Together” organised by GO “Lvivska Osvitna Fundacia” and USAID. The volunteers set up a camp on the premises of Ukrainian Autocephalous Church in Svatove and were warmly welcomed by a very hospitable family of its prior Father Dmytro Romankiv.